Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Tribe

The first time I watched the film The Tribe was my senior year of high school.  I went to a Jewish high school, and every year we were required to take a Jewish law/studies class, and that year I was in Introduction to Jewish Thought.  On the very last day of the class, our teacher showed us the film as a good way to wrap up class.  I then watched it again last semester, in my American Jewish Thought class with Professor Magid.  
In my opinion, The Tribe is a great short film that uses such interesting techniques to describe the Jewish population today, especially in America.  I particularly enjoy how the Jews are compared to Barbie dolls. Like Barbie dolls, over the years Jews have evolved and grown to fit the American stereotype, and often loose most of the attributes to distinguish themselves to be unique or different.  
The filming techniques are very interesting and not often seen in most films and movies.  The producers and directors use a combination of photography and animation, not an actual streaming video, which I think is very unusual - but at the same time, really helps establish meaning and the point of the film.  
I believe that discussing this short film in class will be very interesting.  I think a lot of different ideas will come out of class, and many that are different my preconceived ideas.  I am excited to learn what other people think about the movie, especially if this is the first time they have stached it.

No comments:

Post a Comment