Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Queer Judaism

After being mentioned in class, I decided to read the article "Synagogues working to be more open to gays" on the JTA news website.  I found the article quite interesting, because I personally believe that any human being should be allowed the right to belong to a synagogue, no matter what their race, sexual identification or background is.  Denying someone the right to belong to a synagogue because they consider themselves to be gay, lesbian, or bisexual is ridiculous, or so I think so.
What struck me most interesting was the comments left on this article about allowing gays into synagogues.  One person wrote "homosexuality is an abomination before G-d," following a response of "People have a right to be homosexuals, Jewish leaders don't have a right to destroy Judaism to appease crazy homosexuals."  I think this is an outright terrible message, and I do not think those people understand that homosexuals are just like any other human being, just with a different sexual belief.
I could go on and on about the issue of queer Judaism, or how I believe there should be no issues.  Let them do what they want.  They are humans, and just because they have different sexual desires does not mean they are the root of all evil.  Let them live a normal life, for they shouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment