Sunday, February 22, 2009

Let My People Go

The Let My People Go CD is very interesting and eclectic, to say the least.  Referred to as "a Jewish and African American celebration of freedom," it is apparent that Kim & Reggie Harris are trying very hard to create music that combines Jewish and African American musical styles.
The cover of the CD has as picture of a matzah wrapped in a cloth, also known as the afikoman during the Jewish holiday of Passover.  While there is no indication that this is a Passover CD, this CD is apparently one praising freedom of the Jews from Egypt.  While each song has a Hebrew title, there is English apparent in almost every song.  It is a CD full of richness and diversity, and I can understand why so many people feel a connection this kind of music.
Honestly, this wasn't what I was expecting.  I was expecting more of a Hebrew gospel CD.  However, I am glad that this music is full of history and culture.  It is a very unique way of bringing cultures and ideals together, and it is a quite effective way of doing so.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment