Monday, April 13, 2009

Celebrating Passover AND Easter

This year, I had a quite different experience celebrating Passover - because I also had the chance to experience what it's like to celebrate Easter with one of my sorority sisters in South Bend.
The week started off normally, with attending a seder at Hillel.  I decided not to keep Passover this year for personal reasons, and most people I talked to seemed not to mind in the slightest, which was a relief; for last year, when living on the Jewish Studies FIG floor, I felt like I was looked down upon for not doing things such as keeping Passover and what not.
I then, this past weekend, went to my friends' house in South Bend to "celebrate" Easter with her.  I do not personally believe I celebrated, but I was there with her family, and even went to church.  Her family is Lutheran, and her dad is actually the pastor at their church.  I will admit, I was definitely nervous at first and had no idea what to expect.  I've been to church when I was younger, but only once or twice.  However, when I was there I didn't feel any pressure or worry whatsoever.  My friend Amanda guided me throughout the service, and at parts during communion it felt normal to stay in my seat, and not go up to the front of the room.  I actually really enjoyed sitting through the Easter service, because it made me more aware of other religions and their customs and traditions.
I encourage everyone to try something new in their lives, especially pertaining to another religion.  Try attending sunday Mass or go meet someone who works at a church.  Learn more about other religions, because like it did with me, it really opens up your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment